A Private Health Services Plan, or PHSP, is an excellent strategy for self-funding of health and dental work for owners of their own corporations. The concept is basic, however in order to really make this work for you, it is worth a discussion with our office and your accountant.
What Makes Private Health Services Plans Different?
Most health care insurance plans are fixed, meaning there’s little flexibility. With Custom Care, our plans allow you and your employees to spend your health care dollars on what’s important to each of you.
How do Custom Plans Work?
Once your company has registered with CustomCare and has paid the one-time, tax-deductible enrollment fee of $295 plus tax, you are a CustomCare plan member. Yes, it is that simple.
Now you can follow these three easy steps to make a claim.
1. You pay your health or dental expenses as you normally would.
- e.g. You pay your dentist $1,000
2. Your employer or your company then sends CustomCare Inc. (the plan administrator as required by the CRA) the receipt and a cheque to cover the expense, along with a 10% administrative fee both of which are 100% tax deductible.
- e.g. Company pays CustomCare
- $1,000.00 Dental Expenses
- $100.00 Admin Fee
- $1,105.00 (Plus applicable taxes only on Admin fee)
3. CustomCare Inc. then provides the employee with a tax-free reimbursement of the expense incurred and sends the company a tax receipt for the full expense and the 10% administration fee to claim as a business expense.
- e.g. You receive your $1000 reimbursement tax-free and the company receives a receipt for $1,105.00 which is 100% tax deductible to your business.
The claims process and issuing of reimbursement cheques typically takes between 5 and 7 days.
You can tailor your CustomCare PHSP in a way that suits your company and employee needs and you will never have to pay for coverage you don’t use or need – remember: no more monthly premiums!
The concept is basic, however in order to really make this work for you, it is worth a discussion with our office and your accountant.